1.The technology of cloning ______ both legal and ethical problems.
(A) rises (B) arises (C) raises (D) arouses
2.2. The desert area is ______ populated.
(A) sparsely (B) specifically (C) explicitly (D) implicitly
3.The price of fresh produce ______ according to the weather.
(A) fluctuates (B) foments (C) forgoes (D) forebodes
4.Some people ______ illness in order to obtain insurance compensations.
(A) facilitate (B) fabricate (C) felicitate (D) fascinate
5.The civil rights lawyer found ______ in the U.S. embassy; he is currently under the protection of the U.S. government. (A) sabotage (B) scapegoat (C) segregation (D) sanctuary
6. The single mother has published three novels using a ______.
(A) protocol (B) pseudonym (C) propensity (D) prosecution
7.Steve was raised in a multi-ethnic background, so that's why he is a ______.
(A) polyglot (B) philanthropist (C) plagiarist (D) parasite
8.The kidnappers have been convicted of several ______ and will soon be sentenced to death penalty.
(A) fiascos (B) frauds (C) fugitives (D) felonies
9.We will be receiving the Australian ______ this afternoon. Please get the presentation ready before lunch.
(A) delinquency (B) delegation (C) demeanor (D) deliberation
10.Although modern physiology is quite developed, we may just have a ______ knowledge of human body.
(A) rudimentary (B) sophisticated (C) predatory (D) prodigal
11. To get as many votes as possible, each mayor candidate is very careful not to ______ rural voters.
(A) absolve (B) antagonize (C) arraign (D) assuage
12. My father has quit smoking again, and there will be no ________ this time; he has to get over with it once and
(A) backbiting (B) backstabbing (C) backsliding (D) backwashing
13. 13. When I finally arrived at the airport, my husband made a _____of checking his watch and shaking it in
(A) pantomime (B) pandemonium (C) polytheism (D) predominance
14. The people in this remote mountain village have their own _____ which they use on a daily basis.
(A) locution (B) epilogue (C) eulogy (D) soliloquy
15. 15. The _____ of the unfair law was urged by all political parties as well as the public in the country.
(A) hyperbole (B) prognosis (C) succor (D) rescission
16. 16. Barbara has been tied up with her work for the entire week, but she _____ said yes to help her sister move.
(A) sparsely (B) grudgingly (C) tacitly (D) vicariously
17.Tim didn’t ______ long before he accepted the offer from another company. Obviously, he was allured by the
incredibly high pay.
(A) preponderate (B) extradite (C) trespass (D) cogitate
18.Before his heart surgery, my grandfather was feeling a lot of ____, but the doctor gave him a lot of
(A) trepidation (B) stigma (C) notoriety (D) homage
19.Nike is now trying to persuade contract manufacturers that better labor practices and sustainability improves
productivity with lower worker ____ and reduced costs.
(A) makeover (B) takeover (C) crossover (D) turnover
20.It is believed that psychological ____ of a devastating cancer diagnosis may kill patients before their disease
(A) poll (B) toll (C) roll (D) doll