Nearly 50% of all workers in the United States have jobs they aren’t happy with. Don’t let this happen to you! If you
want to find the right job, don’t rush to look through the classified ads in the newspaper. Instead, sit down and think about
yourself. What kind of person are you? What makes you happy?
According to psychologist John Holland, there are six types of personalities. Nobody is just one personality type, but
most people are mainly one type. For each type, there are certain jobs that might be right and others that are probably
Understanding your personality type can help you make the right job decision. Liz is a good example. Liz knew she
wanted to do something for children. She thought she could help children as a school counselor or a lawyer. She took
counseling and law courses— and hated them. After talking to a career counselor, she realized the problem was that she’s
an Artistic type. Liz studied film, and she now produces children TV shows— and loves it.
Here are some descriptions of the six types of personalities:
(1) The Realistic type is practical and enjoys working with machines and tools.
(2) The Investigative type is curious and likes to learn, analyze situations, and solve problems.
(3) The Artistic type is imaginative and likes to express himself or herself by creating art.
(4) The Social type is friendly and enjoys helping or training other people.
(5) The Enterprising type is outgoing and likes to persuade or lead other people.
(6) The Conventional type is careful and likes to follow routines and keep track of details.
42 What does the author suggest one do in order to find a right job?
(A) Go through the ads to find one.
(B) Consider what one is like and is happy with.
(C) Think about parents’advice.
(D) Ponder over all the jobs that are popular.